Hep C Program Overview
Did you know that you could have Hepatitis C and display absolutely no symptoms? HAAM offers free Hep C testing and access to low cost treatment fpr members who test positive. Contact us if you're interested.
What is Hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C is a contagious liver disease. It results from infection with the Hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is spread primarily through contact with the blood of an infected person. HCV infection is the leading cause of liver cancer, cirrhosis, and liver transplants.
Most people with the Hep C virus display no symptoms, leading infected individuals unaware that they have the virus.
Who Should Get Tested?
The CDC recommends testing for those who:
- Are Baby Boomers (adults born 1945 to 1965)
- Received a blood transfusion, blood product, or organ before the year 1992
- Snorted or injected an illegal drug at any time in their life
- Have a tattoo or body piercing that was done by an unlicensed artist
- Have had multiple sexual partners
For a full list of risk factors, click here.
What if I Test Positive?
Hep C is curable. HAAM has partnered with Gastroenterologist Dr. Imtiaz Alam and the Linkage to C Care program, and HAAM members are able access Hep C treatment at little cost.